A message from the Plum Creek Watershed Partnership
The Plum Creek Watershed Partnership has developed a Watershed Protection Plan as a proactive approach to restoring and protecting Plum Creek and its tributaries in Caldwell and Hays Counties in South Central Texas. The watershed planning process led to key recommendations including public outreach and best practices. Through focused local effort, implementation is underway to address water quality issues, including E. coli bacteria and nutrient levels. Browse the website to find out more and get involved!
News and Notes
- The Plum Creek Watershed Partnership: Assessing Our Progress set for February 13 at Lockhart State Park. Agenda / Press Release
- Caldwell County Feral Hog Task Force website coming March 2014! Check back here for more details.
- Next Caldwell County Feral Hog Task Force meeting set for February 19, 2014 (Location TBD).
- November 2013, Watershed Coordinator Update now available: The Plum Creek Watershed, from Feral Hogs to Landfills Download PDF
- Click here for more information on the Caldwell County Feral Hog Task Force and CHAMP grant opportunities including the $5 feral hog bounty program or email the Task Force at firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 - 2014 Caldwell County and Hays County Bounty Claim Stations
|Caldwell / Hays County $5 feral hog bounty claim stations. Bounty runs October 1, 2013 through August 31, 2014. Feral swine tails accepted in sealed plastic bags during business hours. Receipts from a Certified Holding Facility will also serve as proof of harvest.|
Caldwell County Farm & Ranch
519 N. Colorado St.
Lockhart, TX 78644
Salt Flat Feed & Mercantile
898 N. Magnolia Ave.
Luling, TX 78648
King Feed, Garden and Hardware
14210 Ranch Road 12
Wimberley, TX 78676
Triple S Feed
2111 US Hwy 290
Dripping Springs, TX 78620
2013 Highlights - Plum Creek Watershed Partnership
- The 6th Annual, Keep Lockhart Beautiful Cleanup and Environmental Fair was held September 28, 2013.
200 volunteers cleaned 7 parks and 4.5 stream miles on September 28, 2013. This event was funded 100% by local sponsors. THANK YOU LOCKHART!!!
- August 30, 2013 - "Plant to add 1.5 million gallons per day to creek" from Lockhart Post Register interview with Plum Creek Watershed Coordinator.
- August 15, 2013, Hays Free Press - "Plant deemed hazardous downstream"
- August 12, 2013 - Caldwell County and Hays County receive first ever Texas Department of Agriculture, CHAMP Grant for $30,000!!!
- Another great turnout for our August 8, 2013 Plum Creek Watershed Partnership meeting featuring exclusive screening of award winning documentary, "Watershed: Exploring a New Water Ethic for the New West". To download the August 2013 watershed coordinator update, click here.
- Check out a special preview of "Watershed: Exploring a New Water Ethic for the New West"
Plum Creek friends and neighbors show up in force for 2013 Riparian and Stream Ecosystem Workshop. Photo by Leslie Lee, TWRI.
- Thanks everyone for a great May meeting! Here is the link to a recent article in The Economist, as promised...Pork, Chopped.
- The Animal Planet program featuring feral hogs in Caldwell County made its world premier during Monster Week 2013. Check out "Invasion" (TV-14 Parents Stongly Cautioned) for interviews with local landowners, leading experts and your Plum Creek watershed coordinator. The feral swine around here are getting to be as famous as the BBQ... well maybe not that famous.
- April 24, 2013 article in the Hays Free Press - Hillside Terrace to flush septic woes
- Planning and Design funding approved for Hillside Terrace Subdivision wastewater improvement!
- For the latest news on the Hillside Terrace wastewater project, Community Cleanup Events, a major wastewater spill in Kyle, the feral hog competition and more, check out the Februrary 2013 Watershed Coordinator Summary Report.
- $5,000 grant from TDA to fund feral hog survey and wireless trapping system for Caldwell County!
- Check out a special presentation by Dr. Kevin Wagner revealing valuable insight into Agricultural BMPs for Improving Water Quality from the February 7, 2013 Plum Creek Watershed Partnership Meeting.
- Please continue to check our website for updates as we expect a very busy and very exciting 2013. Some of our plans include new feral hog projects and competitions, riparian workshops, watershed clean ups, domestic well testing for stakeholders, a soils testing campaign, wastewater workshops and more...
2012 - 2013 Watershed Clean Ups
- Over 1,000 tires were collected at the final Caldwell County Community Collection Event held in Lockhart on June 1, 2013. After four collection events this fiscal year, over 2,100 tires and just under 80,000 lbs of solid waste won't be finding their way into Plum Creek!
- Thank you, Lockhart!!! Over 300 volunteers turn out for the 5th Annual Plum Creek/Town Branch/Lockhart Springs Cleanup and Environmental Fair.